Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Flower Beds

We have been so excited for spring to get here. Only, now that it's here we totally forgot about blogging!  Actually we didn't forget, I've just been outside working. So today is a rainy day and I'm inside and decided it was a good time to show you some of the flower beds that I've mulched these past weeks.



  We have lived here about nine years and I was out planting things even before we had our yard totally graded.



 I had a neighbor who was moving at the same time as we were and she removed her garden before she left, so she offered me all the plants she didn't want. Yeah ! I love FREE! I planted them down by the woods and later brought them up by the house.


I also got lots of plants from my mom's garden. I think that if you want to start a garden finding a gardener who will share plants is the best way to go. Not only do you get free plants, but most gardeners can also tell you about the plant and where the best place to plant it.


 This is my front walkway, I have lots of Ajuga, Suculents ,and Creeping Flox planted here. I like plants that are easy to grow and are not fussy.



 We planted six Bradford Pears in our front yard and I like how they look all year round. They bloom in spring, vibrant green in summer, turn red when most trees have already lost most of their leaves, and in winter you can admire their beautiful shape.


This is the right side of our driveway, I have some ornamental grasses and lots of lambs ears here.


Here's the other side of the driveway. I have Nandina, Lillis and some ground covers next to the driveway.


On the other side of the wall is another big flower bed with lots of ornamental grasses, Creeping Flox, different succulents, ground covers and many other flowers. This is one of the flower beds I have not mulched yet, I'm waiting for some seedlings to pop out first. I will post again when they have reached their full height. Speaking of mulch I have found that our city offers free mulch at our recycling center!


I also want to share this arrangement I put together with plants I had inside all winter long. These plants survived through the winter! (I'm not very good with indoors plants) I wanted to compact them a little because they were in lots of little pots and taking up too much space. I found the bigger container last fall on our adventure to the dump (we used it to collect old bottles.) It already had holes in the bottom so I added potting soil and Ivy all around the edges. In the middle I put another galvanized container I had from a garage sale. I filled it with potting soil and arranged the plants I had bought last fall at Lowe's. I can't wait for the plants to fill in, I know they will thrive outside. I love it because I did it with things I already had on hand!



Pin It

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely yard! I would love to see it when it is in its full glory in the summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,! I love your blog, I'm printing off some recipes to try!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your yard with us...it is gorgeous! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what a little mulch can do. Hey, I love free too. How lucky you were to get those freebies. Im now following you and hope you'll come over to PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com to visit me.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my1 I'm so jealous! Your yard looks so amazing.....
    Good for you.... :)

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique


    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your yard looks great and ready for spring. I love your galvanized pot planter. I have many of these pots that I use and love them. I am your newest follower.
    Have a great week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tips on sharing and i am super envious of your green thumb! my heart is in the right place, but i end up wasting alot of money on plants that i don't feel like watering when it's 100 degrees out and the house is so airconditioned and nice, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The only place I water during the summer is my front walkway. I try to plant things that are drought resistant! Some good plants that I like are: Lambs Ears,all succulents, Creeping Flox,and anything that is native in your area.

      Delete
  7. You have a wonderful yard to work with. I didn't know that pear trees were so lovely year 'round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it started out as a field. I wanted to mention that the trees are are ornamental pear, not the fruit tree.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Adriana, I loved seeing pictures of your borders. Would love to have you share them also at What to do Weekends Party, also. Best wishes, Following, Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/04/what-to-do-weekends-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful arrangement. I would love to see your garden in summer. I like the coal scuttle and tub set up. I have both those items myself but have them in different areas. I like to plant pansies in the coal scuttle and move it into shade once it gets too hot for them. I will follow your blog so I can see your garden again.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea with the pots and your plants.

    thanks for sharing

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful gardens..... a word of caution about free mulch...or free garden plants....sometimes it contains materials that are invasive..... so know what and why it is free and if it would work for you..... Spring is such a wonderful time of the year and seeing plants start to set blossom is awesome. I LOVE YOUR watering can feature....inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And you are right about the invasive plants, that's the first thing I ask when I get a plant from someone.If you buy it at a nursery the tags don't give you much indication on the spreading habit, so I love to see it in someone else garden first!

      Delete