Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How To Cover A Box in Fabric

I talked to one of my aunts a while back and told her I would post a tutorial on how to wrap a box in fabric. It has been a while (maybe a month or two) Sorry Auntie, hope you can forgive me.




These are some of the first boxes I did. After doing these I came up with a easy way to cover the inside and outside of the box.

These are the two boxes I started out with. Any size box will work, but they need to be sturdy.

Step 1:

 I used two pieces of fabric. One for the outside, and one for the inside.
Step 2:

To measure how much material you need, put the box in the center of the material. Then pull the fabric over to the inside. Measure about two to three inches from the top of the inside. Then cut the material where you measured.The next part  is hard to explain so I drew on the material.
These red lines line up with the corners of the box, you will need 1 inch more. Look down in step 9 to see how it will work.You will end up one inch away from the box. I cut both pieces of fabric at the same time. 

Step 3:

As you can see here, I left an extra inch on the sides, so later I can fold them. Cut at an angle up to the box.


This is the piece I used for the lining, it's probably better to have the inside and outside material match but this is what I had on hand.

Step 4:

 Fold all the flaps of the material in.

Step 5:

Arrange the fabric to see if it fits. Then I hot glued the fabric to the bottom of the box,one side at a time.

Step 6:

After the bottom is glued down you can pull the flaps out and arrange, notice in the next step how I folded the material before I glued it.

Step 7:

Glue down these flaps as well, now the inside of the box is done.

Step 8:

Place the box in the center of the fabric. 

 Step 9:

Glue the bottom first than the sides.When you get to the sides you glue one side around the box and the other one as shown in the picture. You will get a nice finished look.


This is what You will end up with.

Step 10:

Cut a slit up to the box, like shown. When you glue down make sure you fold the materiel so that when you are finished  you have nice finished edges.


Step 11:

I  added some trim to the outside of the box, but you can decorate it however you want. On some other boxes I added a ribbon and some flowers that I made.

Step 12:

I glued the edge so the seem doesn't show.


And here they are all finished. It's pretty simple. This one is covered with the same fabric inside and out, I like this look.It cost me very little since I had the fabric from a yard sale. I covered three boxes inside and out for about two dollars!


I also painted some dollar store containers and boxes with chalkboard paint and they are holding up well so far !


It looks so nice after all the work we put into it. I just wish our pantry could stay this organized.


One thing I didn't mention before is that if your fabric is not very thick you should probably give your boxes a coat of spray paint before you cover them. You can see a little of the design showing through on the top box and it annoys me a little bit. Hope this is helpful. I would love to hear from you if you decide to cover a box of your own!

 This Project Has Been Featured By:


Photobucket





Update (02-15-13): I’ve entered this project in a contest. Please help me get nominated by clicking on my submission.
Go to this link >;>;>;East Coast Creative’s Creating With The Stars and scroll down to number #165. That’s me! And just click on the link. Thank you for your help!

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Wow: You're a genius!! I am not particularly crafty, but think I might be able to tackle this. Even if I blow it, the damage to my wallet will be minimal. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I need to do something like this. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Definitely going to do this. I'll post back when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely an easy craft. I would love to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have a box set aside for chocolate chips. Yum! Your boxes turned out great. I've been meaning to make some for the top of my kids closets to help organize their out-of-season clothes and such. Excellent tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! And your tutorial is very explicit, thank you...I'm pinning this!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great step by step instructions! I love the fabric! Found you through Roadkill Rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I came by from Roadkill Rescue - your boxes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I found your tutorial. Yes, there are a lot of others around, but this is by far the best because there's NO SEWING INVOLVED! I bought a bunch of fabric a few weeks ago to make a bunch of boxes like these, but stopped at the point where the other tutorials had me sewing the inside panels.

    By the way, I've been using Aleene's Tacky Glue that was suggested from another tutorial, instead of a hot glue gun. It works great!

    I'll be voting for you at that East Coast's website every day for you! I really think you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I could use all the help I can get!

      Delete
  10. Hi,

    I will definitely try this project when I get some free fabric. I love it! In the meanwhile, I want to paint my Dollar Tree bins, like you did with the Chalkboard paint. Did you use spray paint or regular paint? Did you prime it or no? Can you tell me your process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular chalkboard paint in a can, but you could use spray paint. I used the brush on paint because I think you get a lot more for your money from the brush on paint. And, no, I didn't use primer. All you have to do two coats, and make sure it is fully dry before you use them because the paint could scratch off. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Michelle
      Hi, I used a large cardboard box to cover the cat litter tray years ago. Removed one set of flaps, cut out a U shape to allow entry and turned it over for use. Painted inside and out with two layers of the same emulsion left from the internal house walls and a good coat of pva glue to keep moisture off. A lot stronger than a raw box, cost nothing and matched the porch to be unobtrusive. Only cost an hour or two in labour and lasted around 5 years.
      I like the idea of fabric covers for househod storage. Good tutorial. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. hmm... might be good to add a captcha to stop those "anonymous" spammers...
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/adding_captcha_to_bloggercom_blogs_to_minimize_comment_spam.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. thnks its lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for share this post I also share with you something hope you like my post. To make sure your household goods arrive at your new home without a scratch, start with purchasing the right packing supplies. This is an area where you can cut down on cost, if necessary, just remember that buying the right supplies from the beginning will save you time and energy. Thanks
    Buy Packaging Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent tutorial, very easy to follow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent tutorial. I bought a bunch of banker's boxes to get my house organized, but my shed is stuffed full. This will be so handy to use in the house! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Also, I love the Aleene's Glue suggestion. There's even a Quick Dry option on that. Thanks to T to the Essa!

    One suggestion I have is making your own chalkboard paint. Martha Stewart's "recipe" is here: http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint but basically it is 1 cup latex paint to 2 tbs unsanded tile grout. That's all it is!

    Again, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this tutorial. it is indeed very helpfull especially for those who had lots of boxes to throw...thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did this with wrapping paper and mod podge on some old diaper boxes to hold DVDs in my tv cabinet, nearly 8 years ago. I had purchased the wrapping paper on clearance at Target after Father's Day. They are still holding up and look great. I am going to give fabric a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.
    moving box rental

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a single father of two boys , 3and 7, on a budget. I came across your article through apartment therapy. I loved the idea and I'll also try my hand at it. Looks like a good place to store my boys toys and stuff. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wallpaper purchased from big box stores in clearance bins also works well for covering boxes. If the glue is decent on it you only need to dampen paper with a sponge, and press. I cut the paper the same way as Emily did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I will keep that in mind when I garage sale!

      Delete
  21. great idea i am going to do this tomorrow thanks

    ReplyDelete